Karen Kipp Joins The Blender Girl To Guide a 3 DAY WINTER JUICE CLEANSE
January is all about Juicing and Cleansing here at Healthy Blender Recipes in order to get a healthy start to the new year. My motto this year? "Let's Get Clean and Green in 2013!"
I often get asked about "juicing versus blending." Which is better? I believe that the whole fibre contained in green smoothies and whole blended juices are hugely beneficial to health on an everyday basis. However, during periods of detoxification, cleansing, and illness, I drink juices, both pulped and pulp free, as they allow a more gentle digestive process, which leaves more energy for detoxification, cleansing, and regeneration.
You can read more about my views on blending and juicing in my resources section. But, just briefly, I believe there is a place for both blending and juicing in any healthy eating regime. I blend every day, and juice every week. I also do a juice fast/cleanse one day of each week to empty and strengthen my system, along with regular colonics at The Piper Center in NYC and Gentle Wellness Center in L.A.
To celebrate our AMAZING Omega Juicer Giveaway, where I have partnered with my favourite juicing company, Omega Juicers to give away FIVE Omega Vert VRT350 Masticating Juicers, I am sharing a 3 DAY WINTER JUICE CLEANSE led by my dear friend Karen Kipp from Power Your Journey.
Karen is a Certified Holistic Health Coach and has worked as both a Holistic Health Care Practitioner and Reflexologist for over 18 years. Not only is Karen a beautiful, generous person, she is one of the most knowlegable juicing experts I know, leading juice-fasting retreats all year round in Kansas City, MO. She generously agreed to share one of her wonderful and comprehensive juice fasts online with our community. We are in really good hands!
I have posted all of the 9 recipes (3 per day) here. They are also listed in order below. Karen and I will then offer a free 3-DAY WINTER JUICE FAST with these recipes via a private Facebook Group January 18-20, 2013. You can sign up for free here. We will be available to moderate the group all weekend, along with daily live chat sessions at designated hours. We are also participating in the fast as well, and I am so excited to experience it together! If you would like a deeper cleanse, Karen is offering a 14-day cleanse online January 11-25th for a minimal charge of $29.
- Please note: The juice cleanse recipes are deliberately simple to make things gentle and easy on the body. If you are looking for further healthy juicing inspiration after the cleanse, I will be posting more exotic juice recipes every day in January.
- Please read Karen's juice cleansing and fasting preparation, routine, and post fasting guidelines throughougly before participating in the program.
- Please note: the information shared here does not replace the guidance of a qualified medical practitioner. Please consult your health care professional before participating in a juice cleanse, particularly if there are existing medical conditions or concerns.
- Please read the Healthy Blender Recipes User Agreement and Disclaimer
3-Day Juice Fast Recipes and General Guidelines
When cleansing, it is always best to consume juices on an empty stomach to maximize absorption and benefits. But fresh juice anytime is better than no juice! It is preferable to have slightly more fruit-based juices during the day to help break down toxins in the body. The more vegetable-based juices are generally more alkaline and contain more minerals, so they are better in the afternoons and evenings to help rebuild the body and prepare it for rest. It is not a strict science, so you can mix them up, but these are good general guidelines. These guidelines are more important when using juices during a cleanse or fast.
When fasting, it is necessary to strain the juices to ensure that solid pieces are not consumed. Solid food will encourage the digestive process to begin again and will make you hungry. This is not desirable. Straining is not necessary if cleansing without fasting. If you feel like you need more juice, more calories, or are a little low in blood sugar, you can repeat any of these juices during the same time period of any given day. For example, if it is still morning, repeat the daily morning juice. Most juices contain about 100-200 calories and are packed with vitamins and minerals. Each juice is briefly explained in each individual post with a more in-depth explanation of each individual ingredient and its many nutrition properties.
*Please see full instructions and fasting routine at the bottom of this post, including shopping list, preparation guidelines, daily routine, and post fast recommendations.
Preparation for Juice Fast:
In the week prior to fasting retreat: Prepare your body optimally by beginning to reduce intake of caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, dairy products, sugar, grains/wheat, and any other dietary chemicals/additives over the week preceding the retreat. Do not go “cold-turkey” if you consume any of these items in large quantities, particularly caffeine. I highly recommend that you ease off of these substances slowly over the week so that you they are completely eliminated from diet at least 48 hrs. prior to beginning the fast.
Raw foods only 24-48 hours prior to fast: To ease the transition for your body, at least 24 hours before you begin the fast, beginning in the morning, you should eat raw fruits and vegetables only. If you must have a few cooked foods, make sure that it is fruits and vegetables only or broth. Avoid all preservatives, sugar, gluten or wheat products, grains, chemicals, food dyes/preservatives, caffeine, nicotine, animal products and dairy products. Water, lemon water, fresh juices, and herbal teas (nothing with caffeine) are also recommended.
Colonic or double enema: It is critical to your comfort during the fast that you clean out your colon as much as possible before beginning a full fast. Once solid food has been eliminated, the colon slows significantly and toxins will be trapped for several days there if it is not cleared properly. It is highly recommended to receive a colonic immediately prior to beginning the fast – preferably the day you begin your fast or at the earliest, the evening before you begin your fast. Your fast will actually begin the day you receive your colonic on either the evening before or the day of the fast. If a colonic is absolutely not possible, the only acceptable alternative is to administer a double enema yourself. That involves one warm-water enema, filling the colon and expelling immediately, then another enema (2/3 full bag) plus 3-4 drops of fresh lemon juice and a cup of chamomile tea, filling the colon and holding for 5-15 minutes before expelling.
3 Day Cleanse Recipes:
Day 1: Morning > Midday > Evening
Day 2: Morning > Midday > Evening
Day 3: Morning > Midday > Evening
All of these cleansing recipes are designed for one serving. Dilute all juices, unless otherwise stated.
For juices more fruit based, or higher sugar content, add as much water as juice.
For green drinks, and primarily low-sugar juices, add half as much water as juice. This helps to slow down the sugar absorption in the body.
Green Apples have the lowest sugar content of apples, so they are preferred. If unavailable, red apples can be substituted. Spinach and kale are interchangeable in recipes, as it is good to use both as much as possible. Zucchini can be substituted for cucumber also with minimal difference. Pumpkin can be used in place of butternut squash.
Pink Passion Juice Popsicles:
These are simply a wonderful treat while fasting! It almost feels like you’re cheating, but they actually have many cleansing properties and help make it seem like you are eating something!
- 1 apple (green or red~red are sweeter)
- 1/2 lemon (yellow peel removed)
- 1/4 medium beet
- Place all ingredients through your Omega Juicer.
- Do NOT dilute with water before freezing.
- Place in popsicle molds and freeze. Yummy!
- 1 cup organic red beets, sliced or shredded (magnesium & sodium)
- 1 cup organic carrots, sliced or shredded (calcium & sodium, plus several trace elements)
- 1 cup organic celery, leaves and all, chopped to half inch pieces (potassium & sodium)
- 2 cups of any combo of these organic vegetables: some rich in calcium include beet tops, turnip and tops, watercress, spinach, cabbage, parsley, and you may also try broccoli and cauliflower.
- Wash the produce thoroughly by soaking in a tub with warm water with ½ cup of white vinegar for 10 minutes and scrubbing them.
- To make this broth use a 5 to 6-quart container.
- Fill it with one and one half quarts of filtered water.
- As much as possible, cut the veggies directly into the water to prevent oxidation. Also, don’t peel beets and carrots. There are some nutrients locked into skins.
- Cover and cook slowly for at least 30 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let it soak for another half an hour.
- Then strain. I use a colander into a larger bowl.
- This will make approximately 4 large glasses of broth.
- Try to use all the above mentioned ingredients, but if you have a little more room in your container and wish to add a bit more water, plus some more vegetables, feel free.
- You’ve got a bit of license regarding quantity, anyway, each day. However, try not to make more than a 2 day supply, as you want to keep it relatively fresh.
- For improved taste, you can try a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or a small pinch of sea salt.
- Serve this broth warm.
You can add any of these tonics to your routine during the fast:
- 100% organic herbal (non-caffeinated not decaffeinated) teas
- wheatgrass juice shots,
- warm ginger tea with fresh lemon and pinch of cayenne
- strained homemade veggie broth (see above recipe)
Dr Young's Raw Vegan Alkaline Green Almond Milk (Tess's suggestion)
- 6 green apples (Granny Smith if available, if not, Jonathon or Fuji)
- 2 bunches of spinach OR kale (or purchase a LARGE tub of prewashed spinach or baby kale)
- 4 lemons
- 4” piece of burdock root
- 5 cucumber
- 1 medium beet
- 1 celery heart or bunch of celery
- 6 carrots
- 1 pineapple
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 1 head of Romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1 bunch of Continental parsley
- 1 bunch of Swiss chard
- 1 inch piece of ginger root (unpeeled)
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 bunch of garlic
- sprinkle of cinnamon
Please note: This list is based on 1 serving for 3 days of juice fasting.
You will need to make approximate calculations if you have additional participants, or if you plan to fast for more than 3 days.
Please ensure that ALL produce is organic for optimal results.
Daily Fasting Routine:
UPON ARISING: Scrape tongue daily. During a prolonged fast, your body will be detoxifying at an extraordinary rate, and some of those toxins will work their way up the esophagus all night long, deposited on the back of the tongue. Upon arising, simply invert a spoon and scrape the white toxic buildup from the back of your tongue, as far back as you can without gagging yourself. Then, after brushing your teeth, brush your tongue off too. Use natural toothpaste.
COLON CLEANSING: On the first day of your actual juice-fast, receive either colonic from a professional therapist or give yourself a ‘double’ enema (see instructions below for a double enema). On the second day of the fast and thereafter, it is recommended to do a regular enema every morning during the fast to maximize the detoxification process.
Enema: For the daily enema, fill the colon with body-temperature water, holding the water in you colon for 5-to-15 minutes, while lying on a dark towel in a warm, comfortable spot. Faultless makes a combination ‘Douche/Enema/ Water Bottle’ which is sold in pharmacies for about $15 (2quart capacity, or 32 ounces). Your colon capacity is approximately 40 ounces; use whatever portion of the bag you feel comfortable holding. Some people use all 32 ounces, but some individuals feel more comfortable taking only ¾ or 2/3 of the water. The easiest position in which to take an enema is on your hands and knees in the bathtub. You can add a cup of chamomile tea, plus three to four drops of lemon (I just cut a lemon in half and place it beside the tub, squeezing in 3 or 4 drops each day.), put it into your colon and hold it 5 to 15 minutes, while reading something spiritually inspiring, to set the mental frame for the day.
Remember to bleed the air from the line after filling the bag and hanging it higher that your body for gravity – flow. (But if you forget, no harm’s done. It will slowly come out on it’s own during the day.) Also, after inserting catheter, or pipe (a natural balm or vegetable oil makes it easier), take several deep breaths to completely relax the stomach muscles, so the water can actually get through the transverse colon.
Double Enema: A double enema is simply filling the bag halfway with 99* water—body temperature; not too hot or too cold—putting it into your colon, and eliminating it immediately in the toilet. This clears fecal matter initially to allow for the colon to hold more water the second part. Then for the second part, follow the instructions above for the regular enema. Times are approximate, so work them into your own schedule as best as you can. And if, for instance, you don’t have time to do the enema one morning, work it in later. Your body will be passing massive amounts of toxins into the colon every 24 hours during a prolonged fast. And once peristalsis and defecation reflex cease, these toxins cannot exit the colon unless you do enemas. The world’s best fasting clinics recommend, therefore, one to three enemas each fasting day. I suggest my clients all do at least one. But use your own wisdom; if symptoms indicate you need more, try to work them in).
DRY-BRUSH MASSAGE: Following the enema, clean the pores of your skin daily with a natural, vegetable –fiber-bristle brush ($7-10 in health food stores). Use a rotary motion, effecting a rosy glow on your skin, working from the extremities to the heart, making sure to do all parts, including the face. Feels a bit rough at first; you’ll adjust. Dry-brush massage should be followed by a hot and cold shower combination, which also helps prevent colds. Many people continue dry-brush massage after their fast, they like it so well. It’s a million dollar secret for keeping, young healthy skin, for it cleans the pores to enhance detoxification, as well as let the skin breathe more efficiently; it stimulates blood circulation throughout the skin surface, which aids the detox process; it stimulates nerve endings throughout the skin surface, which helps tone the central nervous system, and perhaps most importantly, it stimulates all the glands, which are so decidedly important in how young you actually look and feel!
DAILY JUICE FASTING ROUTINE:
AM – Alkalizing Vegetable Broth: Following the shower, drink a warm glass of vegetable broth. (Use 8 or 10-ounce glass equivalents.)
Breakfast: A glass of freshly juiced fruit and vegetable juice. Dilute all fruit juices 50-50 with good water (purified or natural spring water; not tap). If you have your own juicer, always try to buy organically grown fruits and vegetables for juicing (as well as for your broth ingredients). It does make a difference, as most all other produce is nutritionally raped—genetically fractured; single-cropped with chemical fertilizers; hundreds of insecticides and pesticides laid in systemically; further the nutrients are stripped in the processing. Consequently, we’ve got 80 million Americans unnecessarily bulked up for this principal reason—they must take more and more of this type of food in order to get the nutrients their body actually requires. Be sure to strain all juices, whether you do the juicing, or buy the juices others have done. You want to avoid all pulp and puree, as they’ll kick in your appestat mechanism, your digestive system, kick out this magnificent autolysis (or self-digestion) process, and make you quite hungry.
Mid-morning: Cup of herbal tea. I recommend you use quality, organic teas—rosehips, peppermint and chamomile are excellent choices. The teas contain detox vitamins which are A, C and E…C being the best by far.
Noon: Glass of freshly juiced fruit and vegetable juice. Also, if it fits your schedule on any of your fasting days, noon is also a good time to work in some exercise, even if it’s only walking with deep breathing. Any aerobic or anaerobic program is fine, and will help in the detox process. Also, if therapeutic baths are a possibility—steam, sauna, jaccuzi or hot tub—or massage, this is a good time they may possibly be worked in.
Mid-afternoon: Cup of herbal tea. (Note: when heating water for tea, I never bring it to a complete boil, as boiling destroys enzymes 100%, kills some nutrients, etc.)
Early evening: Glass of freshly squeezed vegetable juice. Don’t dilute vegetable juices. And again, avoid pulp or puree. Also, try to avoid onion and garlic, as they interfere with clarity of consciousness, which you will be experiencing a progressive heightening of –you will, in fact, eventually become clearer than everyone around you, which is partly why most of the greatest thinkers, historically fasted repeatedly.
Mid-evening: Optional glass of juice (fruit or vegetable), broth or tea. Use your own wisdom. All bodies and schedules are different, so monitor yourself a bit.
Bedtime: Glass of warm vegetable broth. Again, when warming up refrigerated broth, don’t boil.
Note: The average faster loses a pound a day for the first 20 days—five of which is fecal matter from the colon, which will be replaced when eating resumes—by adhering to a 7 to 8 glass total intake. That includes everything, which means you don’t just drink at random (water included). Juices, broth and teas are predominantly water, anyway. And as it takes energy to process everything, random drinking simply takes energy away from this magnificent detox process. So try to hold to a 7 to 8 glass total intake, and if you get really thirsty beyond that, take some good water. But again, do not drink at random. However, fruit and carrot juices have plenty of sugar, should you feel a little low at any time.
Post Fast/Breaking Your Fast Guidelines:
Phase 1 – (half as long as your fast , or 1.5 days for a 3-day fast)
- No animal products, heavy proteins or fats – period. Your body is not ready to digest them and it will completely RUIN the effects of the fast, and most likely make you feel sick.
- Start out very simple with high-water content fruit, such as an apple or homemade raw applesauce (no additives). Consume small quantities, you’ll get full very easily. Other popular first items are: watermelon, grapefruit, pear, papaya, grapes and mango. Go slowly, see how your body reacts.
- You can juice if you like also – no need to strain now!
- Rest of the phase: Once you have broken the fast with your first food as above, acceptable items include: Fruits: watermelon, papaya, grapefruit, orange, apple, peach, pineapple, cantaloupe, mango, melons, grapes. Sprouts: alfalfa, clover, sunflower, chia. Smoothies: blueberries, banana, apple, chia, psyllium, spirulina, chlorella, maca. Soups: miso, veggie broth Vegetables: tomato, cucumber. Organic almond or rice milk. NO greens except sprouts.
- To help stimulate digestion, try adding 2 tbsp of RAW, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (like Braggs, not a clear, cheap version) and 1 tbsp of honey to a glass of filtered water. Yummy!
Phase 2 – (half as long as the fast, or 1.5 days for a 3-day fast)
Same as Phase 1, but add any of the following: berries, avocado, kelp, spinach, lettuce, sunflower seeds, olives, olive oil, cashews, almonds, vegetable soups, dried fruit.
Phase 3 – Slow transition back to normal diet.
- Same as above, but slowly start adding in other foods such as steamed veggies, grains, or a baked sweet potato. Avoid any heavy or greasy foods. Focus on fruits and vegetables. You’ll find that much smaller quantities will fill you up. Eat small portions.
- Minimize or avoid dairy and high fat foods for a while. These are congesting and difficult to digest.
- If you want to test for food sensitivities and allergies, this is an ideal time to add in the suspect foods one at a time in its whole form to see how your body reacts. For example, to test dairy products, add in whole milk, not skim or to test wheat, try cream of wheat, not bread. Some of the most common sensitivities/allergens: dairy, gluten/wheat, soy, corn, citrus, nightshades (tomato/bell pepper/potato/eggplant), melons. Do not eat these foods until Phase 3 if you want to test them. Pay attention to your body, it will speak to you!
*All of this information and the recipes will stay on the site, so you could do the cleanse at your convenience. Here's to your health!