The Healthy Voyager’s Raw Vegan Chocolate Kale Chips2
It is DAY 22 of "Gluten Free Vegan Recipes with Breville" and we celebrate our Breville Sous Chef® Food Processor Giveaway with the FABULOUS Carolyn Scott-Hamilton, a.k.a The Healthy Voyager -- Holistic Nutritionist, Vegan Chef, Best Selling Cookbook Author of THE HEALTHY VOYAGER'S GLOBAL KITCHEN, LifeStyle Entrepreneur, and the Executive Producer, Creator, Writer, and Host of the wildly successful "The Healthy Voyager" web series, radio show, and website. If you don't know about this lovely lady, you are in for a treat!
After graduating in 1998 from the University of Miami with an AA in Microbiology, a BS in Communications (Film), and a BA in Theatre Performance, Carolyn moved to Los Angeles and opened a Lifestyle and Entertainment PR, Branding, and Event Planning firm, Ineventions. After years of struggling with her weight, Carolyn switched to a plant-based diet after reading FIT FOR LIFE. This changed the course of her life forever. She went on to receive her Masters in Holistic Nutrition, study at prestigious culinary programs, and start on her PhD in Naturopathic Medicine.
In 2005, Carolyn merged her three passions - Travel, Healthy Food, and Film, and The Healthy Voyager show was born! Carolyn and her husband began travelling the world and documenting their journeys, providing a fabulous resource for healthy, eco-conscious travel. This quickly expanded, and the series now has episodes covering Global Kitchen, Celebrity Tour Bus, L.A City Secrets, Innovative Fitness Ideas, and Eco-Friendly Lifestyle Tips. You can check out Carolyn's TV guest appearances to see that The Healthy Voyager has became a booming business!
This hugely popular website is LOADED with valuable information. It is SO deep I couldn't possibly cover all of the information in one post! You can find all kinds of amazing Green Living Tips, Health and Wellness News, Plant-Based Recipes, Fashion and Beauty, Relationships, Parenthood, and more. The Healthy Voyager brand features Interviews with Celebrities and Leaders in the healthy green world; as well as Restaurant Reviews, Giveaways, and much much more.
Besides running the wildly successful Healthy Voyager brand, Carolyn is a regular contributor to many news outlets such as Yahoo Shine, IVillage, and the Huffington Post. As a well respected expert in the fields of travel, health, green living, and the culinary arts, Carolyn has been featured all over the media on CNN, USA Today, Discovery Channel, Martha Stewart Radio, and many others. Carolyn is also in huge demand to speak all over the country at conventions, expos, conferences, schools, corporate businesses, and festivals.
But let's not forget where this all started. Carolyn is a fantastic vegan chef. She has been a proud vegan for over 14 years, and formulates delicious healthy plant-based recipes. In THE HEALTHY VOYAGER'S GLOBAL KITCHEN, Carolyn takes you on a culinary journey around the globe with 150 mouth-watering vegan dishes from Greek Gyros, to hearty Colombian Empanadas, to delicious Japanese Matcha Green Tea Ice cream. YUMMO!
Today, she is kindly sharing the fabulous Raw Vegan Chocolate Kale Chips from the recipe archives of her website. You can also watch a video of her making them on The Better Show here. Carolyn says, "these chocolate kale chips are not only healthy, but they are quick, tasty and insanely nutritious! A win win for everyone!" I say, "these are TO DIE FOR, and NOT to be missed!"
Follow the entertaining journey of the glorious Carolyn Scott-Hamilton and become A Healthy Voyager.
Carolyn, thankyou for graciously sharing your recipe as part of this event. You ROCK!
The Healthy Voyager’s Raw Vegan Chocolate Kale Chips
- 1 full head/bunch of Tuscan kale, washed, stemmed and leaves torn to bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup raw agave, maple syrup or 1 cup date syrup (1 cup pitted dates and 1 1/2 cups water blended or food processed into a paste)
- 1/4 cup raw cashew butter or cacao butter
- 1 tsp non alcoholic vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp chia or pumpkin seeds, ground in your Sous Chef® food processor
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch of cinnamon or cayenne pepper if you want to add a little zip
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix by hand, kneading and until kale is well coated.
- Add kale to lined dehydrator sheet or cookie sheet, laying flat into 1 layer.
- Set Excalibur dehydrator to 105 degrees and “cook” for about 12 hours or until crunchy and dry (flipping the chips half way through the cooking cycle).
- If you don’t have a dehydrator, put the cookie sheet in the oven and bake at 300 degrees for 20-25 minutes then flip and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. *Note: the chips will not be considered raw if cooked in the oven.
- Remove from oven or dehydrator and store chips in an airtight container or enjoy on the spot!
Piggy Cooking Tips
the best way to store lemons
Lemons continue to respire and ripen after they have been harvested. The faster they respire the more carbon dioxide they produce, and the quicker they spoil. Store your lemons in the fridge to slow this down and they should keep for up to about ten days. Make sure you do not store them in plastic bags where they are on top of each other. When there is limited oxygen, the ethylene gas gets trapped, causing them to rot. Always bring them to room temperature to get the most juice out of them.