TheBlenderGirl.com > Klaicha – Date Filled Cookies
Klaicha cookies are a national treat from Iraq. Traditionally, they're pressed into special molds similar to tabis. But, with these gluten-free vegan cookies I just press them with the prongs of a fork.
I first came across these cookies when I was volunteering at my mum's school kitchen. Burwood Heights Primary School has an incredible kitchen garden program, and my mum's colleague Judy created the most delicious Middle Eastern banquet as a fundraiser, and I made these cookies with the students.
I've modified the original recipe using rice, tapioca and buckwheat flours to make these treats gluten free and more like shortbreads, and used rapadura sugar instead if refined white cane sugar.
Don't miss making these cookies. They're hard to quit eating.
Klaicha – Date Filled Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone liner or parchment paper.
- In a food processor fitted with the s blade, add the flours, xanthan, and sugar, and pulse a few times until well combined. Cut the butter into small pieces, and add it to the flour mixture. Pulse in bursts just until the butter is combined. Don't over process or you'll get a butter ball.
- Mix the filtered water with the rose water, and add to the dough. Pulse until a dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead lightly until combined. Cover with cling wrap, and rest for about 30 minutes.
- To make the filling, heat the butter and dates in a small saucepan over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until the dates have softened.
- With a tablespoon measurer, shape the dough into balls. Flatten each ball like a pancake in the palm of your hand and place a small teaspoon of the date filling in the center. Fold the edges of the dough over to cover the filling. Roll the dough back into a ball with your hands. With the back of a fork, slightly flatten each ball.
- Transfer the flattened balls to the lined sheet, and bake for about 30 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven, and allow the cookies to cool on the sheet. They will firm up and get more crispy.
- Store in a sealed container.