Gluten Free Carrot and Date Muffins11
I can’t count the number of times I have made these delicious gluten free carrot muffins. They are quick, easy, and absolutely scrumptious. I used to “make a date” with my carrot grater on many a lazy Saturday afternoon, and make a quadruple batch of these carrot and date muffins to take for snacks at work; and there were many grateful snouts!
I have always loved the combination of carrots and dates. Mix in your favourite honey, and you’ve got a blend that makes these gluten free carrot muffins a winner on every level. I have had this muffin recipe on a scratchy bit of paper for about 20 years, and the little card that I have now glued said paper to still takes pride of place in my healthy recipe file.
This was the first “refined sugar free” muffin recipe I ever made, and it is still one of my favourite recipes. The original whole wheat and dairy version was really good, but my gut kept singing a different tune. This recipe lent itself to a gluten free incantation beautifully, and I can now chow down without fear of a stomach ache, and my gut instinct and taste buds are in harmony.
I usually double this recipe. I am not really a fan of chopping dates! These gluten free muffins freeze really well. But you know my partiality to the straight out of the oven and snout in the trough approach. The piggy in me always feels like this is the way to get the most “bang for your buck” with gluten free baking. Straight out of the oven, these carrot and date muffins are moist, springy and just perfect. They have such a rich flavour that they don’t need any spread. In fact, I have had some people tell me they are a little too rich after consuming 3 or 4! HA!
Make a date with these gluten free carrot muffins and you won’t be disappointed. They are gluten free, dairy free, nut free, refined sugar free and absolutely piggilicious!
Gluten Free Carrot and Date Muffins
- ¾ cup white rice flour
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp xanthan
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- ½ tsp gluten free baking soda
- ½ tsp fine Celtic salt or Himalayan salt
- 1 cup grated carrots – about 2 medium carrots
- 1 cup pitted chopped dates
- ¼ cup organic grapeseed oil
- ½ cup organic honey
- ½ cup organic soy milk, hemp milk or rice milk
- 2 organic eggs
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Sift flours, baking powder and salt and mix evenly.
- Melt the honey in a small saucepan on low heat.
- In your stand mixer add the eggs, milk, and oil and gently mix together. Blend in the honey.
- Keep the mixer running, and gradually add in the dry ingredients – mix thoroughly.
- Fold in the carrots and dates, and put into well greased muffin tins, and bake for about 20 minutes. This mix makes about 8 large muffins.
These muffins have so much flavour they don’t need anything on them. Just open wide! YUM.
Makes about 12 muffins
Piggy Cooking Tips
the best way to clean your blender
After blending up something sticky, gooey or smelly, just place a few drops of soap in the carriage with some warm water and blend on high until all of the congealed food slips away from the blades and sides. Then repeat this process. Then rinse with water and presto! Clean carriage.
If you have smells or stains repeat this process with some bicarbonate of soda or lemon juice and water.
Check out the video on A No Hassle Way To Clean Your Blender that I did as part of the Chow Tips Series.