“Happy Peasant” Vegan Garlic and Potato Soup19
Hearty, nourishing, delicious, nutritious, and dead easy to make. This vegan garlic and potato soup, which I affectionately refer to, as my “Happy Peasant Soup” (do you like the smiley face I made in my photo?) is quite simply phenomenal. I don’t know about you, but when I travel, I always seek out the local peasant food in order to get a really authentic taste of the culture. Not to mention the fact that it is always the best food on offer! You just can’t go past rustic country food to feed the body and the soul.
I fell in love with this hearty chunky vegan potato soup on a family trip to Ireland many years ago. Maybe it’s the Irish in me, but give me a chunky vegan soup or stew, and I am happy as a pig in shit! This chunky garlic and potato soup really hits the mark. It is vegan, gluten free, dairy free, egg free. nut free and soy free. If you are looking for delicious allergy free recipes this vegan potato soup is a winner.
For those of you following the Body Ecology Diet and looking for tasty body ecology recipes, this is your lucky day! Self-respecting vampires far and wide are risking death to have a taste. This phytochemical rich garlic broth will fight off any viral vampires you have to fight this Winter, whether it be a simple cold, flu, minor infection, candida, immune disorder, or other nasty. This garlic and potato soup can’t hurt and can only help, and will keep our snouts happy like every self respecting peasant before us! Vampires beware……
**If you want this soup to taste exactly like mine, the vegetable stock/broth that you use is important. Not all stocks were created equal. They really do vary in quality and taste. I always use Massel vegetable broth, which I believe is superior in quality and flavour. Massel stocks are vegan, gluten free, lactose free, kosher and free of MSG. When I don't make my own home made stock (I really do need to post that recipe) I always use Massel stocks. I actually prefer to use the stock cubes so I can control the strength. I use 1 stock cube for every 2 cups of filtered water.
“Happy Peasant” Vegan Garlic and Potato Soup
- 2 whole heads of organic garlic
- 6 large red potatoes scrubbed and sliced
- 2 large red onions chopped and caramelized
- 7 cups vegetable broth (I use Massel when I can't make my own)
- Celtic sea salt or Himalayan salt and freshly ground pepper
- chopped flat leaf parsley for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F
- Place the whole unpeeled garlic bulbs in a small tray and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Parcook the potatoes in boiling water for about 10 minutes.
- Stir fry the onions until caramelized.
- Bring the veggie broth to the boil, and simmer for about 5 minutes, and then add the drained potatoes.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic pulp into the soup, season to taste, and stir through.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes until potatoes are cooked through, and the flavours infuse.
- Pulse very briefly with a hand blender so still relatively chunky and rustic.
Garnish with parsley and serve. YUM!
Serves 4 - 6
Piggy Cooking Tips
the best way to clean your blender
After blending up something sticky, gooey or smelly, just place a few drops of soap in the carriage with some warm water and blend on high until all of the congealed food slips away from the blades and sides. Then repeat this process. Then rinse with water and presto! Clean carriage.
If you have smells or stains repeat this process with some bicarbonate of soda or lemon juice and water.
Check out the video on A No Hassle Way To Clean Your Blender that I did as part of the Chow Tips Series.