Quick Easy Vegan Gluten Free Mac N Cheese44
Piggies! It is DAY 29 of "I LOVE Vitamix" month and we are down to the last 3 days of our fantastic Vitamix giveaway. It has been an amazing month of celebration and the response to this giveaway has been literally mind blowing! It appears a lot of healthy piggies want to get their hands on a Vitamix 5200 blender! Don't miss out on your chance to win. To enter, simply create a piggy name, enter your email address, and then share on Twitter and Facebook for bonus entries. Every time your piggy gets name gets mentioned in a subsequent entry, you both get a bonus entry! Good Luck!
Today we continue our love affair with all things well blender with Vitamix Recipe #29: Gluten Free Vegan Mac N Cheese. This quick easy pasta dish is simple and delicious. This is a perfect way to sneak some veggies into your children without them knowing it. If you are serving this mac n cheese to small children, you can omit the mushrooms, parsley, green onions and minced dried onions. But for adults, you are going to want to jazz this dish up with some extra fixins!
What I love about this dish is that you can be completing the sauce (thanks to Vitamix) and toppings while the pasta is cooking, and the whole meal can be ready in under 20 minutes, and that includes cooking the cauliflower! This gluten free mac n cheese recipe is a fantastic quick healthy meal the whole family can enjoy. It is a lifesaver when you have had a hard day and you have limited time in the kitchen.
I have deliberately left the flavour very mild for children. But feel free to jazz this up with some raw garlic. I only used roasted garlic for the kids. But I am a bit of a raw garlic addict, so like to add some in to ward off the vampires! Best thing about this dish? You would NEVER know there was a whole head of cauliflower in it!
**If you need to make this sauce nut-free you could blend in some avocado for the creaminess. YUMMO! If you want to add some orange colour to the sauce you could put in a little bit of cooked carrot, roasted bell pepper or a tiny bit of tomato paste.
Trust me, this gluten free vegan mac n cheese is delicious! Thankyou Vitamix. You ROCK!
Quick Easy Vegan Gluten Free Mac N Cheese
- 8 oz / 227gms gluten free quinoa macaroni or other gluten free pasta
- sauce ingredients:
- 1 cup soy milk, rice milk or almond milk
- 2 cups steamed cauliflower (about 1 medium head)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast or more to taste (you could also use Daiya cheese or regular cheese)
- ½ cup raw cashews or blanched almonds
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp roasted smashed garlic
- 1 tsp raw finely chopped garlic (**optional - see note in post)
- 1/2 tsp dried granulated onion powder
- ¾ tsp Celtic sea salt or Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp sweet paprika
- season with pepper and salt
- topping ingredients:
- 3 cups sautéed mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fresh continental flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp wheat free tamari
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 tsp minced dried onions
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and cook the pasta for about 5 minutes until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking throw all of the sauce ingredients into your high speed blender (I use a Vitamix) and puree until smooth and creamy.
- **If you have a Vitamix, you can just blend until the sauce is piping hot in just a few minutes.
- While the sauce is blending, saute the sliced mushrooms in a tiny bit of olive oil and 1 Tbsp wheat free tamari until nice and tender.
- Drain the pasta.
- Place the pasta back into the post, pour the sauce over, and toss with the mushrooms, parsley and spring onions until well combined.
- To serve top with parsley, spring onions and dried minced onions. YUMMO!
- Serves 2 - 4
Piggy Cooking Tips
selecting and storing raw cashews
“Raw” cashews are widely available in pre-packaged bags as well as bulk bins. Always purchase from a supplier where there is a high turnover to ensure freshness and quality. Look for plump cashews that are uniform in colour. Avoid the limp and shrivelled ones. Cashews should smell nutty and sweet. If they have a sharp or bitter smell they have gone rancid. To preserve the precious oils, store cashews in a sealed glass jar in the fridge for up to six months. Always soak cashews before using to remove the enzyme inhibitors and make them more digestible.