I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas Day for those of you celebrating. My family and I had an absolute blast! I must admit I overindulged... and enjoyed every single minute of it!
I know many of you will be planning for the New Year's Eve festivities right about now, but I thought that instead of posting a mocktail recipe like I typically do around this time of year, I would get a head start on the juicing posts in the lead up to our month of "Clean Green Juice Recipes" to celebrate my Juicer Giveaway that it is going off like a New Year's firecracker!
Those of you who follow my Facebook page would be aware that I'm giving away five (yes 5!) juicers valued at $379.99 each. We will announce one lucky winner every week during the month of January. Good Luck! :)
I will start posting the recipes for the 3 DAY WINTER JUICE CLEANSE guided by Karen Kipp from Power Your Journey on January 1st, and then post a healthy juice recipe every day for the entire month. But for those of you wanting to get a head start on your holiday detox, this simple spinach and apple juice blend will do the trick! This is just one top juicing tip I got from my favorite juicing book, Heinerman's Encyclopedia of Healing Juices. This is my juicing bible! Some of the information is a little out of date. But it is still the most comprehensive guide to the health benefits of juicing I have read.
Apple juice is a staple ingredient in the juicing world, adding sweetness and flavor to otherwise unpalatable combinations. Besides the delicious taste, apples are loaded with natural goodness -- containing calcium, phosphorus, sodium, iron, potassium, and small amounts of Vitamins B and C.
For detoxing purposes, apple juice is fantastic for cleansing the colon, and is a wonderful natural remedy for constipation. The high pectin content in apples (one apple contains about two grams of pectin) combines with the mineral salts contained in the apple to form an insoluble salt that can have a powerful laxative effect.
A trick I learnt from John Heinerman is to combine equal parts spinach and apple juice to heighten the laxative properties of apples. The oxalic acid in the spinach mixes with the pectin and mineral salts in the apples to create a 'guaranteed to make you poo' elixir that will cure any kind of holiday constipation woes! This magic mix is so amazing for scraping off impacted fecal matter from the walls of the colon. Drink only one cup of this mixture every four hours or you will need to stay very close to the loo!
If you have an excess supply of apples on hand, in addition to making homemade applesauce and apple butter, try making homemade apple cider vinegar by keeping fresh apple juice in a warm place in a glass jar for about a week, shaking regularly to assist with the activity. A couple of tablespoons of fermented apple juice is a fantastic natural remedy for arthritis, as it neutralizes acid crystal deposits that form around your joints.
Juicing is a wonderful way to detoxify your system, and get a healthy start to the new year. I like to use the new year as the perfect excuse to make healthy promises to myself. Here are some easy ways you can be a bit more "Clean and Green in 2013":
- Sleep and rest in order to maximize your healthy potential.
- Start the day squeezing a lemon into a glass of room temperature water to detoxify your body after rest, restore an alkaline balance, stimulate the peristaltic movement of the colon and prepare your body for digestion.
- Drink at least three liters of filtered water a day to keep hydrated. For maximum effect, add some liquid chlorophyll to the water.
- Purchase organic, non-GMO foods from local sources where possible.
- Enjoy a savory green alkaline smoothie every day to get your daily dose of greens and top up your alkaline buffers.
- Increase the amount of raw foods in your diet to take advantage of the live enzymes.
- Include green leafy vegetables with every meal.
- Soak and sprout your raw nuts, seeds, and grains to remove enzyme inhibitors and activate their nutritional potential. This is why I love Way Better Snacks tortilla chips as they offer a sprouted alternative to conventional tortilla chips and snacks. Share your healthy ideas on the Way Better Facebook Page. They love hearing from customers.
- Practice Food Combining to improve your digestion.
- Keep moving! Engage in some form of stretching, aerobic activity, and weight bearing exercise at least three times a week.
- Practice deep breathing and/or meditation to reconnect with your inner self, alkalize and relax, and set mindful intentions for the day.
- "Thoughts Become Things." So, choose the good ones. Be positive about your life and act with gratitude and abundance. This attitude has an infectious quality that brings beauty into the world.
- Treat others the way you want to be treated. What you put out into the world comes back to you.
- Volunteer your time to a cause you are passionate about.
- Tell the people in your life how you feel about them.
- Reduce your consumption, upcycle, and recycle.
- Start composting.
- Use food-grade, natural, organic beauty products.
- Clean your home with eco-friendly food items like lemon juice, baking soda, and vinegar.
- Walk or ride your bike instead of driving the car.
What are some of the ways you are improving your health this year?
Happy New Year to you and your family!