Raw Vegan Lemon Cheesecake Smoothie39
Piggies! You are in for a scrumptious treat today. I hit the yummy JACKPOT with this smoothie blend. This raw vegan lemon smoothie tastes just like a melted cheesecake in a glass! You will never guess this is dairy free. It is smooth, creamy, rich, and decadent. This recipe yields one 16-ounce glass. But I like to serve it in shot glasses for dessert and share it with friends.
I was inspired by this month's Sprout Living Raw Vegan Protein Powder Giveaway to create a ton of super tasty smoothies this month and this is one of my favourites. I LOVE the raw vegan Sprout Living Vanilla Lucuma Epic Protein powder, so I added a scoop to this smoothie. But this ingredient is optional. The smoothie tastes fantastic without it.
What I love the most about this raw vegan smoothie is the sharp tangy lemon taste that hits you with every swish. You are greeted with the tartness of the lemon on the front end, then a touch of banana and cashews; with the taste sensational rounding out with a zesty lemon twist. This is a really refreshing Summer indulgence.
Those of you who have been following me for a while would know my partiality for tart recipes. My dear friends Chuck and Stacey, the amazing hosts of the voice over show, VO BUZZ WEEKLY, were over last night and LOVED this smoothie. They are sooo much fun, and are always up for anything. Chuck, who is not a fan of lemon, found this smoothie very tart at first, but then enjoyed the cheesecake tasting element. Fellow "tart at heart" Stacey was in zesty piggy heaven soaking in the lemony piggiliciousness. You may remember Stacey, my recipe development partner-in-crime from our delicious raw vegan spicy cranberry pudding. The test of a great recipe is when it gets Stacey's stamp of approval! She is an amazing cook and has a great flare for flavours.
Trust me, let the "tart at heart" in you sing, and turn lemons into 30 second lemon cheesecake! If you need a bit more sweetness just add in some more dates or a dash of coconut sugar, maple syrup, or raw agave. Either way, this smoothie ROCKS!
Raw Vegan Lemon Cheesecake Smoothie
- 2 cups ice
- 1 cup filtered water
- ½ cup raw chopped pitted dates
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup lemon flesh (1 whole small lemon) peeled and pips removed
- 1 medium banana (fresh or frozen)
- 5 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Sprout Living Epic Protein Vanilla Lucuma Powder (*optional)
- 1 tsp non alcoholic vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp regular extract
- ½ tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- pinch Celtic sea salt or Himalayan salt
- Place all ingredients in your high-speed blender (I use a Vitamix) and puree until smooth and creamy.
- Tweak flavours and ice to taste.
- Devour! Oink Oink :)
- This fills a 16 ounce glass but serves 4 – 8 people served in shot glasses for dessert. It is very rich!
- You could also thicken this with chia seeds and make a raw vegan lemon cheesecake pudding. YUMMO!
Piggy Cooking Tips
the best way to store lemons
Lemons continue to respire and ripen after they have been harvested. The faster they respire the more carbon dioxide they produce, and the quicker they spoil. Store your lemons in the fridge to slow this down and they should keep for up to about ten days. Make sure you do not store them in plastic bags where they are on top of each other. When there is limited oxygen, the ethylene gas gets trapped, causing them to rot. Always bring them to room temperature to get the most juice out of them.