Super Easy Savoury Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes4
Well, we are definitely right in the thick of party mode now! Scott and I have been skipping all over NYC with our Santa hats on spreading the Christmas cheer. We have attended all manner of holiday parties hosted by friends and colleagues in NYC. Some companies are SO creative! A highlight would have to be the Audible "CandyLand" themed party. What a blast.
On the opposite coast, I hosted a humble holiday party in L.A; and in preparation for feeding 30 people, I decided to give my new Breville Risotto Plus a workout, in order to leave more room on the stove top and in the oven for the rest of the food! Whilst preparing the meal, I realized that I had never posted a slow cooker recipe on the site. A fact my mother (a passionate slow cooker devotee) found "outrageous!" It suddenly occurred to me that perhaps some of you would appreciate this holiday slow cooker recipe too.
So, here is a really super quick and easy holiday sweet potato recipe you throw together in less than 10 minutes by letting your slow cooker do all of the work! I found this little gem of a recipe on the Skinny Ms website as part of their Slow Cooker Cookbook. Skinny Ms has a ton of healthy slow cooker recipes, and if you are looking for vegan slow cooker recipes, this little recipe is a winner!
This simple side dish strikes a delicious balance between sweet and spicy, with beautiful warm flavours that really get you in the festive spirit. My kitchen smelled DIVINE as this was slow cookin away while we were listening to Christmas carols and drinking vegan eggnog. Try serving these sweet potatoes with garlic green beans, vegan stuffing, and rosemary cornbread. YUMMO!
Super Easy Savoury Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
- 4 cups (2 large sweet potatoes) peeled and diced into 1" cubes
- ½ cup freshly chopped cilantro (stir through before serving)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp Celtic sea salt or Himalayan salt
- Add extra virgin olive oil to slow cooker and preheat to high will preparing potatoes and garlic.
- Stir all ingredients except chopped cilantro and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Add these ingredients to the slow cooker, and coat with the olive oil.
- Cover and cook on high 2-3 hours or low 4-5 hours. We recommend using a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Remove potatoes from the slow cooker, stir through cilantro, and season to taste.
- Serves about 6 side portions.
Piggy Cooking Tips
a quick easy way to clean this “cling-on” pieces out of your garlic press
If you are using a garlic press to mince your garlic you will know how hard they can to clean sometimes. There are always a few little stubborn bits that refuse to let go of the garlic party. Next time you are replacing your toothbrush (I replace mine about once a month) recycle it and then wash it. Keep it under the sink to scrub out your garlic press under running water to help remove those little cling on pieces.