TheBlenderGirl.com > Vegan Coconut Ice Cream
This easy vegan coconut ice cream is as simple as open, pour, stir, blend, chill, churn, and devour. As long as you can use a can opener, you can be chowing down on fresh vegan coconut ice cream in a matter of hours. This recipe is perfect for those of you who don't want to crack open a coconut.
You'll get the best results with high quality organic full-fat coconut milk or So Delicious culinary coconut milk. Skip the brands with tons of additives, and the “light” varieties that are too thin and watery.
I use coconut butter to boost the coconut flavor, but you could add some natural coconut flavoring. It's all a matter of personal preference.
For the best texture, freeze until really firm. Enjoy.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the coconut milk, and set aside. Pour the remaining coconut milk into the blender with the maple syrup, coconut butter, coconut flavor, and salt, and blast on high for 10 to 20 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the coconut mixture. Whisk the arrowroot into the 1/4 cup of reserved coconut milk until smooth (add water if needed). Take 1/4 cup of the warm coconut mixture, and add it to the arrowroot mixture to warm it. (Add more if needed). Whisk in the arrowroot mixture, and stir for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Transfer to the mixture to a bowl, and place it in the fridge for a couple of hours to chill.
- Grind the toasted coconut flakes in a spice grinder or coffee grinder until fine. Set aside.
- Once chilled, churn an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. In the last five minutes of churning, add the toasted coconut.
- Transfer the mixture to the freezer to solidify. Serve with toasted coconut flakes.