The Baking Beauties Gluten Free Dairy Free Cinnamon Bun Cake32
Piggies! It is DAY 19 of Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid and we continue our grand celebration of the 7QT KitchenAid Stand Mixer Giveaway with this fabulous gluten free, dairy free cinnmon bun cake from the lovely Jeanine Friesen from The Baking Beauties. Heads up! If you like cinnamon rolls but don't want to take the time to make them, you can still enjoy the lovely taste of them with this super easy cake. But I will say, that if you want to make some AMAZING cinnamon rolls, TRY Jeanine's gluten free cinnamon rolls which are the most popular recipe on her site! One bite of those babies and you will see why people are flocking there in their droves for a piece of cinnamon heaven! I am trying her lemon bars and homemade granola bars next! HOW GOOD do those little babies look?!
So who is this lovely lady with the cinnamon dusted spatula? Jeanine is a wife and mother living with celiac disease living in rural Manitoba, Canada. A passionate baker, she refused to let her 2008 diagnosis get in the way of her fun in the kitchen. She uses The Baking Beauties to share her tried and tested gluten free creations that her friends and family have long enjoyed. So, if you are living a gluten free lifestyle and are missing your favourite breads, cinnamon buns, cupcakes, muffins, pancakes, cakes, or cookies, you’ve come to the right place!
This gluten free cinnamon cake is a perfect example of her wonderful baking skills. I love how dense this cake is. It is a heavier cake with a delightful brown sugar cinnamon ribbon throughout. I enjoyed it (more than once) minus the vanilla icing drizzle and it was still AMAZING. Scott and our friends agreed as we enjoyed it watching an episode of Smash! We were happy little piggies indeed! This recipe is a WINNER!
For more of Jeanine's delicious recipes and information head to The Baking Beauties. You can also download her FREE holiday eBook that is loaded with amazing gluten free recipes! My favourite part of Jeanine's site is the canning section which has all kinds of incredible homemade canned treats! LOVE these ideas!
Thanks for being a part of this event Jeanine. You ROCK!
The Baking Beauties Gluten Free Dairy Free Cinnamon Bun Cake
- Cake ingredients:
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup soy milk or rice milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1/3 cup canola oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 3 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- swirl ingredients:
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (*optional)
- 1/4 cup vegan buttery spread (Earth Balance)
- 2 Tbsp brown rice flour
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- icing ingredients:
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp soy milk or rice milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 / 350 degrees F
- Grease one 9×9-inch baking pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, measure out 1 cup brown rice flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, salt, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and baking powder and mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup milk, eggs, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and oil.
- With the mixer running, slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Mix until just blended.
- Scrape batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly in the pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the vegan spread, brown sugar, 2 Tbsp rice flour, cinnamon, and pecans (if using). Stir until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Spread evenly over the cake, and using a butter knife, gently swirl through the cake, creating the marble-effect. Do not over mix it though.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- When the cake has cooled, prepare the vanilla icing:
- In a small bowl, stir together the confectioners sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, and 1-2 Tbsp milk. Start with one tablespoon and add more if necessary to get the consistency that you want.
- You can use a spoon and drizzle the icing over the cake, or place the icing into a small zipper-seal bag with a small corner cut off, and drizzle it over the cake that way. YUMMO!