TheBlenderGirl.com > Chock-Full Chocolate Surprise Smoothie
TThis smoothie is a fun way to get kids to eat more veggies. Unlike the murky color of some vegetable smoothies, the brown of this smoothie makes it look like a chocolate milkshake, enabling you to hide all manner of nutritious goodies inside. And it’s so delicious and creamy, nobody will know that it contains greens!
Note that the broccoli must be frozen and the cauliflower must be steamed and cooled, not raw. This is quick and easy to make if you have a bit of leftover cauliflower. If you can’t quite get your head around blending wet florets, you can always add an extra banana and reduce the sweetener.
This recipe, and other delicious smoothies can be found in The Blender Girl Smoothies app.
Chock-Full Chocolate Surprise Smoothie
from The Blender Girl Smoothies app
- 1 cup (240ml) unsweetened hemp, almond, or rice milk (strained if homemade)
- 1/2 teaspoon probiotic powder (optional, see post)
- 1/2 cup (22g) firmly packed baby spinach
- 1/4 cup (25g) frozen broccoli (about 2 florets)
- 1 medium-sized banana, plus more to taste
- 1/2 ripe pear, cored, plus more to taste
- 1 cup (120g) steamed cauliflower florets (cooled completely)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus more to taste
- 1 cup (125g) ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon shelled hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon acai powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
Throw everything into your blender (including any boosters) and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and creamy. Tweak the banana, pear, cacao, vanilla, and maple syrup.
*This smoothie is best consumed immediately before the vegetables get assertive.